Will I get the car that I have booked? Vehicles are booked by group, not by specific models and are subject to availability. Our company reserves the right to upgrade your vehicle without prior notice, if the model/group requested becomes unavailable for unforeseen circumstances. The rate will remain the same as originally quoted with no extra charge for the upgrade. However, we do consider your personal preferences and we will try our very best to provide you with the vehicle chosen. To ensure your personal preferences are met early booking is recommended.
What is your fuel policy? All rental vehicles from our company are delivered with ½ tank of fuel approximately. The cost of fuel is charged at the same rate as the petrol stations across the island. Fuel is not included in the rental cost and must be paid in addition to rental cost upon delivery. The rental vehicle must be returned with an empty fuel tank at the end of the rental. Please note that the cost of any unused fuel is non-refundable.
How can I pay for the rental? All rental costs are payable on delivery in € currency either by cash or bank card (debit or credit). The following bank cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card. American express (amex) and Maestro are not accepted.
Additionally, our customers have the option to prepay their car rental by bank transfer and benefit an extra 8% discount on the total cost. Be aware the additional 8% discount is given ONLY for prepayments by bank transfer. This extra discount is valid for only 7 days after your booking request is confirmed. Bank details will be forwarded by email in order to benefit from the extra discount given for prepayments.
Furthermore, a detailed breakdown of all charges and optional extras selected will be sent automatically by email after booking request is submitted.
What is your cancellation policy? If you have prepaid your rental, we require 15 days cancellation notice prior to your scheduled arrival date otherwise a cancellation fee will be applied.
• 20% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 15 to 9 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. We will return the remaining 80% of the total amount paid on the same day of cancellation.
• 50% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 8 to 4 days prior to your scheduled arrival date. We will return the remaining 50% of the total amount paid on the same day of cancellation.
• 100% of the total amount paid will be deducted if you cancel 3 to 1 day prior to your scheduled arrival date or No show.
Do you provide car safety seats with your cars? We are able to supply child safety seats upon request with our vehicles. There are 2 categories available. Standard safety car seats and ISOFIX base safety car seats. Standard safety car seats cost €2 per day extra and ISOFIX base safety car seats cost €5 per day extra. In each category we have 4 types of safety seats such as: forward facing car seats, rear facing car seats (new-born), cushion booster seats and high back boosters. Be aware that child safety car seats are mandatory in Cyprus. Due to insurance rules and regulations you will be required to fit the safety car seat yourself.
What I need to do in case of an accident? In the case of an collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road, even if it is the authorised driver of the rented vehicle error which resulted in a collision, the renter/driver is fully covered by our insurance scheme with ZERO excess liability as long as the correct procedure as stated below is followed.
• Our insurance policy states that you are required to report the accident, regardless of the amount of damage. Vehicles involved must never be moved from the collision/accident scene until a collision/accident report is completed either by the police officer or by the vehicle insurance representative attending. Contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement.
• Any collision/accident with another vehicle in the public road where the damage is significant or not, must always be reported to the police and to the vehicle insurance company straight away and brief information must be provided of where the incident took place in order for them to attend the place of collision/accident. Contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement.
• Any collision/accident where there is damage to property, third party or if someone is injured will require a police and vehicle insurance report. Injury claims especially have a way of escalating very quickly, even when they appear minor at the scene. Even if the police report is completed for the car collision/accident, you must also notify the vehicle insurance company. Please be aware that the police officer attending is not responsible to report the collision/accident to the auto insurance company so it is very important that you should report this.
• If the renter/driver fails to report the collision/accident to the police, the vehicle insurance company and our company immediately and comply with the requirements under the country's law, the insurance will become invalid and the renter/driver can be held liable up to the market value of the vehicle and third-party claims. The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages and third-party claims.
Do you provide full insurance with your cars? CDW full insurance included in the rental cost shifts all responsibility for any extra charges from the driver/renter to the car rental company. This means that the car rental company waives the right to collect a high deductible from the driver/renter and most importantly it covers all the damages caused to the rental vehicle and third party, therefore the driver/renter would not be held responsible for any repair fees or additional charges.
Be aware that this level of insurance provides coverage ONLY for damages and third-party claims in the case that the rental vehicle is involved in a collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road and the correct reporting procedure is followed.
The CDW full insurance with ZERO excess liability included is to protect you from the financial burden of an accident and third-party claims, but failure to follow the reporting guidelines and comply with the requirements under the country’s law means that the full insurance protection becomes invalid.
You should always be aware that there are insurance limitations which mean that CDW full insurance protection becomes invalid.
Additionally, you should be aware that unexpected damages that may occur to the rental vehicle without being involved in collision/accident with another vehicle on the public road, these damages will not be covered by the CDW full insurance protection as given above therefore you will be required to pay an excess.
Will I need to pay an excess if I damage the car? An excess is an amount of money you are required to pay towards a claim. In these cases, as given below the driver/renter becomes responsible with an excess liability starting from €100 up to €500 The charges will be dependent on the actual extent of the damages.
a) If the rented vehicle is damaged in a non-public road or damaged by driver’s negligence e.g. damages occurred in a car park, reverse in to a wall or stationary object, crash into a tree etc.
b) For damages occurred to the rented vehicle while driven on unpaved road/no tarmac/trail/off road.
c) Any theft of/to the rented vehicle must be reported immediately to the police, the vehicle insurance company and to our company. Be aware that our representative will need to inspect the vehicle before it is moved.
The theft insurance included is to protect you from the financial burden of any theft. Failure to follow the reporting guidelines means that the insurance provided becomes invalid and the driver/renter will be held responsible.
d) In the case that the rented vehicle is returned with damage not recorded on the vehicle condition diagram or on the photos taken on delivery by our representative will be considered as new damage and the driver/renter will be held responsible.
Do I need to leave a deposit for the rental? The security holding deposit is standard with all the car rental companies which safeguard the car rental company for any additional costs that may arise during the rental period such as: unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in collision with another vehicle on the public road, traffic fines, broken or lost car keys etc.
We recommend adding this to your holiday budget as the security holding deposit is not included in the rental cost. Have in mind that you will not be able to use this amount during your holidays as this will be held until vehicle return. The security holding deposit will be refunded on vehicle collection as soon as a member of our staff inspects the vehicle and ensures that is returned in its original condition as provided on delivery.
The time it takes for the amount to be shown to the renter's account (if blocked on bank card) will depend on their banking institution rules and regulations. Normally renters should be able to see the amount in their account in approximately 2 to 10 working days. The unblock receipt can be forwarded to the renter by email if requested to present to their banking institution. The amount of security deposit needed depends on:
a) Renters that drive on the left side of the road (steering wheel on right side) in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €200 security deposit until vehicle return.
b) Renters that drive on the right side of the road (steering wheel on left side) in their country must present as a guarantee on delivery a €500 security deposit as driving in Cyprus is on the left, therefore an extra risk is added to the rental company.
c) Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years or drivers between 21-24 years must present as a guarantee on delivery a €800 security deposit as an extra risk is added to the rental company.
The security deposit can be settled either by cash or bank card (credit or debit) in € currency. The following credit or debit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa card, Euro card and Traveller card.
Can I reduce my excess liability? After various customer requests for an extra safety package to cover a part or all eventualities, our customers now have the option to reduce their excess liability and automatically shift a part of their responsibility back to the rental company. In actual fact when your excess liability is reduced it saves you from having to pay out the whole amount of a claim in case of unexpected damages that may occur without the rented vehicle being involved in an accident. It's difficult to know what is going to happen during your holidays but there is certainly a value to enjoying peace of mind while travelling. There are 4 options available for your excess reduction which you can request on the 3rd step of your online booking.
• Reduce excess liability from €500 to €400 at an extra charge of €4 per day.
• Reduce excess liability from €500 to €300 at an extra charge of €6 per day.
• Reduce excess liability from €500 to €200 at an extra charge of €8 per day.
• Reduce excess liability from €500 to €100 at an extra charge of €10 per day.
Please be aware that our company will not try to scare any customer into purchasing any extra insurance coverage. Our customers have the right to purchase their own optional independent car rental excess insurance from any insurance company of their choice. Where the rental company will charge costs as appropriate the renter may reclaim these costs via their individual excess insurance. A detailed receipt will be given if requested with these costs for the reclaim.
You should always have in mind that even if you reduce the excess liability the security holding deposit is still needed, as there are insurance limitations.
What are the insurance limitations? No insurance cover is provided in the case
a) If the vehicle is driven into the occupied Northern part of Cyprus.
b) If the vehicle is driven under the influence of alcohol, medication or any other substances.
c) If the vehicle is driven on unpaved road/non-tarmac/trail/off road which can be unfit for its purpose. Two-wheel drive vehicles are forbidden for off road driving.
d) If intentionally trying to damage the vehicle.
e) If failed to take in mind traffic regulations.
f) For lost or damaged vehicle keys which are chip coded and expensive to replace. In this case the customer will be charged for the replacement key which can cost from €150 - €300 plus any associated transport costs. The charges will be dependent on the actual key/device.
g) For unauthorised driving (drivers not stated on the rental agreement).
h) For any unreported accidents or theft to/of the rental vehicle.
i) For damages caused to the vehicle engine/gearbox/electronics due to customer negligence.
How can I contact you if I need assistance?
Our contact details will be given in print on the rental agreement.
Can I have the car delivered to the hotel/villa that I am staying?
• If we are delivering at the hotel that you are staying at our representative will meet you at the hotel reception hall holding the Elephant rent a car sign and escort you to your car.
• If we are delivering at your private villa/apartment our representative will meet you at the street address that you will provide to us.
How old do I have to be to rent a car? All drivers, main or additional regardless of age are obliged to hold a full valid driving license for at least 3 years. The maximum driver’s age is 75 years old and the minimum driver's age is 21 years old.
• Drivers with driving experience less than 3 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle.
• Drivers between 75-99 years depending on their state of health are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €5 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle.
• Drivers between 21-24 years are required to pay an extra insurance premium of €10 per day in order to obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle.
Can a friend or family member drive my hire car? Additional drivers may obtain the right to drive the rental vehicle at an extra charge of €2 per day. This charge may change according to the driver age and driving experience.
Where will I find you when arriving at the airport? We are able to deliver 24/7 all over Cyprus as long as you have booked in advance.
• If we are delivering at the airport our representative will meet you at the airport arrival hall holding the Elephant rent a car sign and escort you to your car.